Controlling A. tumefaciens

Peter L. Schuerman ez006804 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Mon May 1 15:51:31 EST 1995

Using Agrobacterium tumefaciens as a means of introducing DNA
into plant cells necessitates actually infecting plant
segments (explants) with the bacterium.  If the next step in
the process involves culturing the explant, the residual bacteria
can be a serious problem, as they will grow unchecked in the
plant growth medium.  This problem is dealt with by using
antibiotics, but often this is not 100% effective, and the
antibiotics may have undesirable effects on the plant tissue.

I'm writing an article on these problems.  As I understand it,
these difficulties plague many researchers, yet they are often
not discussed in journal publications.  I think it would be
good, especially for those new to the field, to know more
about these aspects of plant transformation.  I am told that
these difficulties are especially salient with regard to woody
plants, or plants which are otherwise difficult to culture.

If you have had problems controlling the growth of A.
tumefaciens in a plant transformation experiment, or have had
undesirable effects on your plant material due to antibiotics,
please contact me.  I would appreciate discussing this, and,
if you are interested, perhaps interviewing you for the article.

                  `.`.    //
         . - ~ ~-.__`.`-.//     Peter L. Schuerman
     .-~   . - ~  }~ ~ ~-.~-.        Crown Gall Group / Pomology
   .' .-~      .-~       :/~-.~-./:       University of California
plschuerman at ucdavis.edu .-~   . - ~  }~ ~ ~-.~   -.   \_.
                                            ~ ~\_.-