Black plants

Tony Travis ajt at
Tue May 2 04:36:35 EST 1995

pjordan at (Peter Jordan) wrote:
>>Maybe an ideal plant should be black with white stripes:  drat! that
>>opens the door to a 'zebra' plant thread >:-)
>I don't know about zebra plants (4 oclocks ?)
>	but ..
>	wouldn't black leaves make for a very high rate of transpiration.
>If water is a limiting factor, maybe having only the most efficient pigments
>(reds and blues) helps avoid needing too much water ?

Yes, but that is only true if the energy is _not_ used photosynthetically
(somehow) and is absorbed by the latent heat of evaporation.  Think about
chlorophy fluorescence - if the energy is not passed to an electron transport
chain, it has to be released as light or heat.

Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  JANET: <ajt at>
Rowett Research Institute,            |  other: <ajt at>
Aberdeen, AB2 9SB. UK.                |    fax: +44 (0)224 716687