QUESTION ON COMPOUNDS PLANTS PRODUCE

larson eric elarson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed May 3 09:35:13 EST 1995

gideon at iaccess.com.au (GIDEON BAKER) writes:

>Is it fact that the compounds  plants produce,
>are either a lipid, carahydrate, protein or
>nucleic acid ?

No.  Plants produce all manner of organic compounds.  At one time, over 50%
of all pharmaceuticals in use were plant-derived chemicals.

The study of secondary metabolism is really a study of organic chemistry as
practiced by plants.

--
Eric Larson                  | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
USDA/Agronomy                | 190 PABL; 1201 W. Gregory; Urbana, IL 61801