Young tree trunks white???

Marco_Bleeker mbleeker at euronet.nl
Fri May 5 00:11:43 EST 1995

>>I just wanted to get some input on what kind of white paint to put on
>>young tree trunks.  And also is this the best method to protect the tree or
>>should I look into something else? Thanks.
>>-Andy Johnson

>You can use regular latex interior paint.  White paint is the best for
>sunburn.  You might need a plastic protector for weed eaters, animals etc.

  I studied epiphytes once and had an idea to paint tree-trunks white (or any
other color) in order to determine the rate of shedding of bark for different
tree species.  It did not come to that, and I don't know if anyone has done
such research on trees.  But if you're painting trees anyway, it would be
helpfull to register a 'half-value time': the time it takes till half the
paint has gone - for a tree species.

  Bye, Marco