Black flowers

Nancy Harrison nanharrison at delphi.com
Fri May 5 07:36:03 EST 1995

Gavin, I have growing in my yard a patch of Black Calla Lilies,
very sinister-looking, with black (very deep purple, actually)
spathes (the petal part) and thick green stalks.  Like many
"black" flowers they are fly-pollinated.  They have a noxious
odor of decay, which attracts the flies to them, where they are
trapped in the bottom of the spathe, and must struggle out,
thereby picking up pollen from the spadix (central sexual
organ)  and transferring it to the pistillate parts.  This is
the kind of flower that would do well in horror stories!   The
genus is Arum (don't know the species). -Nan in Calif.