Lycopersicon/Solanum phylogeny question

mel turner mturner at acpub.duke.edu
Thu May 11 14:30:51 EST 1995

In article <jtrue-110595101404 at edgemere.zoo.duke.edu> jtrue at acpub.duke.edu (John True) writes:
>From: jtrue at acpub.duke.edu (John True)
>Subject: Lycopersicon/Solanum phylogeny question
>Date: 11 May 1995 14:11:57 GMT

>I'm interested in divergence of genetic maps between closely related
>species and I was wondering if someone could point me toward a reference
>containing the _estimated time since divergence_ of the Lycopersicon and
>Solanum genera.  A recent literature search came up empty.

Hi, John.
      First, Lycopersicon is probably really just a sister group to some other
small species group within Solanum, not to Solanum as a whole  (i.e.,
recognizing Lycopersicon as a separate genus instead of as a subgroup of
Solanum  makes Solanum paraphyletic).  I'm sure there have been some pretty
recent symposium volumes published on systematics of Solanaceae-- I saw one in
the herbarium just recently.  I can help you look for it if you like.   Leave
a note in my mailbox or e-mail me if you want to get together
mdt