Mango Pits???

Henry Broekhuyse broekh at unixg.ubc.ca
Mon May 15 23:01:03 EST 1995

In article <graphxxx-1205952108340001 at 204.107.76.86>, graphxxx at escape.com
wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone has sucessfully grown a plant from a mango
> pit. I opened the outer part, took the pit out and suspended it over water
> like an avacado pit with part in the water but nothing happened.
>
> Can these be grown?

Take the seed out of the hard outer coat, gently peel off the papery stuff
covering the seed (don't hassle it if it doesn't come off easily, it isn't
that important to get it all off) and plant the seed in a pot of potting
soil.  Lay the seed on its side and cover with one inch of soil (let it do
the hard work of figuring out which is the shoot end and which is the root
end).  Don't let the soil dry out.  One book I've read says there's a 30%
chance of germination.  I've tried three seeds in the past and two came up
as nice little treelets (but they got frozen on a cold window sill and came
to a ignoble end).