Plants vs. Predators

EJGOLD ejgold at aol.com
Tue May 16 19:45:56 EST 1995

=Subject: Plants vs. Predators
=From: aregula at ix.netcom.com (Aregula )
=Date: 13 May 1995 17:36:36 GMT
=I am trying to find out what ways do plants protect themselves against
=predators(insects, animals).  I know of different natural poisons they
=use, but there do not seem to be many ways they can defend themselves
=against pests.  Does anyone know of any natural defense mechanisms
=plants of general variety use?
=Any comments would be appreciated.
=Thank you.

One of many defense mechanisms:
Pubescence. Many plants have varying degrees of 'hairyness'. These fine
'hairs' hold smaller sucking-type insects (like aphids) away from the
outer layer of cells which make up the plant, therefore the insect cannot
suck fluid from the cells.

EJ