Twining plants

Frank van de Loo fvandelo at
Tue May 23 06:54:03 EST 1995

Owen Foley <owenf at> wrote:
>br947 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Catherine Wheatcroft) wrote:
>>Why do the shoots of pole beans grow counter-clockwise and not
>>clockwise? Any information would be welcome.
>According to some it is different on each side of the equator...but this could be an
>urban legend
>Does anyone know?
I've seen the same discussion about hop vines, for which it was suggested
that twining is the result of the growing apex following the sun during
the course of the day (heliotropism, like sunflowers).  Of course this
would result in opposite directions in the northern and southern
hemispheres; the only problem I see is that it predicts clockwise in the
north, anti-clockwise in the south, contrary to the above.  We should
probably just go back and read Darwin...
Frank van de Loo
USDA-ARS & Dept. Horticulture
University of Kentucky