Help please - plant identification

Marco_Bleeker mbleeker at euronet.nl
Mon May 29 00:11:33 EST 1995

>Could anyone help me identify this plant please?
>It was found growing in the UK this May on a building site.
>Stem - similar to flag iris.
>Leaves - coming from the stem, similar to iris but finer.
>Flower stalks coming from the leaf axils.
>Flowers - blueish, 18-20 petals, daisy-like, about2.5 inches across.
>          brownish centre with gold-tipped stamens.
>Root - white carrot-shaped.
>Height of plant above ground - about 30 inches.

  I think you found Tragopogon porrifolius, the Dutch name translated: Purple
Morningstar.  It is on the red list in Holland. Formerly cultivated for the
edible root, but now rare. It comes from the Mediterranean (circum-Medit),
where it is quite common I believe (but am not sure).

  Anyway, beautiful plants, the flowers as well as the fruits later.

Bye, Marco

<mbleeker at euronet.nl>------------<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
--------------<Plants, Programs, Primitive creatures>-------------------
<Marco Bleeker>-------------------------------------<Amsterdam, Holland>