Help keeping sand in pots.

Roger Case rcase at rt66.com
Mon May 29 18:10:34 EST 1995

In article <3qdioe$it4 at newsbf02.news.aol.com> ejgold at aol.com (EJGOLD) writes:

>=Subject: Help keeping sand in pots.
>=From: max at life.cc.sunysb.edu (Daniel Taub)
>=Date: 25 May 1995 00:46:56 GMT

>If you are doing large scale nursery production, the simplest and most
>effective way to go has to be window screen mesh. The plastic variety is
>available in rolls for bulk purchase and has a smaller apperture size than
>the galvinized wire type. You can probably even re-use it, given proper
>sterilization.
>This works well for smaller scale uses as well, like a couple large
>terracotta pots. Just go to the local hardware store and look for a window
>screen patch kit.
>EJ

Another suggestion is to go to anyone of the many hobby stores, or embroidery
stores and get the plastic sheets that they sell for 30-70 cewnts each that
are about 1 ft square.  cut out a small piece and use a small pice of copper
wire to hold the plastic in place.  This is the technique that we who do
Bonsai use for most all of our pots.  The [plastic doesn't rot like window
sacreen, and is coarser than window screen  so it doesn;t clog -- the material
is so cheap it can be thrown after use, or put it through the dishwasher or
soak it in clorox to disnfectit and its completely reuseable.