Chamaele decumbens vegetable

Richard Wright richardw at mpx.com.au
Wed Dec 4 13:46:42 EST 1996

Does anybody know a green vegetable/herb with the scientific
name Chamaele decumbens or Sium decumbens? It is a member of
the Apiaceae (ex Umbelliferae) or celery family.

I am trying to identify a herb being wrongly sold in Sydney
as Lebanese Cress (Aethionemum cordifolium).

The plant in question has pinnate leaves, inconspicuous
umbels of short stemmed white flowers, and a vigorous
sprawling habit due to spreading runners. From some initial
research I suspect it may be Chamaele decumbens of Japanese
origin, but can find no illustration or description.