Do plants grow better in different spectra of light?????

Ken Sills ksills at afr-olt.com
Mon Dec 16 08:45:24 EST 1996

To generate light of varying spectra will involve using discharge tubes.
These are essentially like neon lights, but with krypton, helium, etc.
in the place of the neon.  I wouldn't reccomend this route.

There is another way of getting the effect that I think you are looking
for.  Use a white-light source (incandescent light bulb) and filters.
The filters can be simple.  For example, coloured overhead
transparancies.  If you do this well, you could create effective
blue, green, yellow, and red filters to place in front of white bulbs.
Because incandescent light bulbs are not a flat spectral source you may
also want to make different darknesses of grey filters (neutral density
filters) and use a light sensor (get one at home depot, etc.) to
balance the light levels for each filtered source .  That way you won't
bias your results by giving one plant more light that another.

Hope this is helpful?

Ken Sills