Southern Hemosphere Vines

m.lee mikaline at netcom.com
Sun Dec 22 23:56:18 EST 1996

Michael L Roginsky (d_micro at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
} In <32BAC1C5.359B at internetnorth.com.au> Andrew Sinclair
} <andrews at internetnorth.com.au> writes:
} >
} >It has been observed that in out area vines grow clockwise up trees.
} Is
} >this the same in other parts of Australia or do they grow
} ant-clockwise
} >in the Northern Hemisphere? CAn someone from there check and tell us?
} >-----------------------------------------------------------------
} >Andrew Sinclair	     andrews at internetnorth.com.au
} >WebMaster	     Internet North Pty Ltd Ph 070 33 23 11
} >Ph 018 793 589	     http://www.internetnorth.com.au/andrews/
} >-----------------------------------------------------------------
} This one I qualify to answer. Because of the earth's rotation a
} secondary effect force (secondary only because is small in flight
} computations) called Coryollis effect causes the vortex caused by
} draining a sink or tub to turn "counterclockwise" - looking down on it
} in the northern hemisphere. Vines will do the same around trees. Of
} course as an engineer I use my right hand fist with the thumb up as the
} direction of the twist looking from bottom up. Likewise the effect is
} reversed in the southern hemisphere, or thumb down in my analogy. I was
} born and raised 1/2 degree south of the equator and the vines grew as I
} stated. Also did the water vortex on the sink. Cheers...-:) MAD.Micro

It was my observation in the island nations of the South Pacific that the
direction of the drain vortex was more a function of the fixture.

ml