Where to find wild orchids?

Tom Schweich schweich at well.com
Wed Apr 9 11:28:10 EST 1997

> Thomas Merchant wrote about native orchids and how to go about studying them.

Thomas,

I would recommend the following approach. Go to your local university
with a botany department and a herbarium. Explain your interests. Ask to
review their specimens in Orchidaceae, and make a list that compares
your known sites with theirs. If you find a significant gap, you may be
in a position to add to scientific knowledge in your area. Ask them how
you can help fill the gap. You may get several different suggestions
(or, of course, you may get a cold shoulder), such as: 1) learn how to
document plant locations and add to our data base, 2) learn how to
collect and mount specimens, get your permits, and help us add to our
collection, 3) please take our graduate students to your location, 4)
please contact Professor R. U. Sirius at Lower Slobovian Tech who is
currently studying southern Appalachian ochids, 5) etc.

If you're a serious amateur who is willing to put some of your own time
and money into local botany, you are in an excellent position to add to
the body of scientific knowledge. IMHO, attaching yourself as a
volunteer to a local university herbarium is a good way capture and
preserve your hard (and fun) work for other botanists, both amateur and
professional.

Tom Schweich, schweich at well.com
http://www.well.com/user/schweich/