Litchi (lechee) plants (trees)

Martin Tom Brown Martin at nezumi.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 06:24:28 EST 1997

In article <5s9b05$s4l at imol2.vub.ac.be>
           jan.doumen at imol.vub.ac.be_cut_this_ "DeJean" writes:

> Rodger Whitlock wrote:
>
> # You should be able to find fresh lichees for sale this time of year.
> # Just start one from the seed inside.
>
> Are sure this will work? I just return from China and brought 5 lychee
> seeds and 5 dragon eye (logan?) seeds with me. I was planning to try them
> out as a bonsai room plant (it freezes too much in Belgium during the
> winter period). Yesterday I was searching the web and found a page which
> had a fairly extensive information sheet (reference at the bottom) which
> states that the seeds are only viable for one or two days and that using
> seeds is not a reliable source for producing high yield trees. Is there
> anybody around who has every succesfully grown lychee trees from seeds?

Yes - grown them from supermarket fruit stones once. Never had fruit,
and they are a bit touchy (expire) during long cold damp dark winters.
I expect in their own territory good productive cultivars are used.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown  <martin at nezumi.demon.co.uk>     __                CIS: 71651,470
Scientific Software Consultancy             /^,,)__/