Yucca

Chuck Dunn cddunn at texas.net
Tue Aug 12 14:51:41 EST 1997

There are 20 species of yucca in Texas alone, and there seem to be a lot
of hybrids too.  See

McKelvey, S.D. 1938.  Yuccas of the Southwestern United States, Part 1.
McKelvey, S.D. 1947.  Yuccas of the Southwestern United States, Part 2.
Webber, J.W.  1953.  Yuccas of the Southwest. U.S. Dept. Agric. Mon. No.
17.

Yuccas are notoriously hard to identify in the field (unless you luck out
and find them in bloom with some of last year's capsules still intact)
and impossible from herbarium material.

Computer searches for material on "yucca" return a million articles on
manioc (aka yucca) and very few on Yucca the genus.

PS - McKelvey studied only American material yet yuccas grow all over
Mexico and perhaps Central America.  I wanted to study the Latin American
material and revise the US material for my dissertation but could get no
support.  Know where I can get a grant?