What is this plant??

Jim Manhart manhart at bio.tamu.edu
Wed Jul 16 20:41:41 EST 1997

In article <5qiqvk$m7e$1 at news.inc.net>, cgorak at winona.net (Char Gorak) wrote:

> I have a very large plant in my back yard - It must be 6-7 feet tall.
It is a
> single long shaped flower (shaped like a piece of corn on the cob) and
seems to
> flower by particles.  The flower is light green with separate particles
turning
> into small yellow flowers scattered around the large long shaped flower.  The
> leaves are very thick and feel smooth and soft like velvet.  It reminds me of
> something out of Jack and the Beanstalk.  Does anyone have any idea what this
> might be so I could know where to begin to look?
>
> Thanks!
> Char Gorak
> cgorak at winona.net

This might be a species of Verbascum, common name "mullein" or "wooly
mullein".  It has a large inflorescence of yellow flowers and "wooly"
leaves.  You can see images of it at
"http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxscr.htm".  This will give you the
Scrophulariaceae or Figwort family, go down to Verbascum and select some
of those to see if they match yours.