Water Purslane (spelling) and Branch Burrweed

Peter Selby pete.selby at zetnet.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 13:38:40 EST 1997

In message <5gnb1i$bjn at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>
        "Christoph Metelmann" <chandvel at inet.uni-c.dk> writes:

> In message Tue, 18 Mar 1997 03:10:30 GMT,
>   Liz Curtis <flacszil at ix.netcom.com>  writes:

> > Hi...and Help.   :)
> >
> > I've just been told I have two endangered plant species on some property
> > I own in East Tennessee.  (Water Purslane and Branch Burrweed).  I've
> > probably mispelled them both, I forgot to ask the government agency that
> > called me to "spell" them for me.
> > Looking for any information from anyone who knows anything about one of
> > these species...or both.
> > I am not a botanist...so I don't even know what they look like, let alone
> > even existed before today.  :)
> > Please email me with any info you have, would really be a big help for me!
> > Thank you!  flacszil at ix.netcom.com   Liz Curtis

 Ludwigia palustris is also known as Hampshire Purslane, meaning
Hampshire in Southern U.K.  In Hampshire, the only UK county with any
significant number of plants, it grows in wet areas and is a rather
insignificant sprawling plant. Its flowers comprises four sepals and
no petals.  It is a member of the Willowherb Family, Onagraceae, and
is so close to the Evening Primroses.

Is it a native in USA or another introduction from Europe?

Another UK water plant is Branched Bur-reed, Sparganium erectum -
could this be your Branch Burrweed?

It seems rather strange that a landowner is told that they have
endangered species on their land but not told how to identify them.
You could very easily destroy the plants without even knowing that
they are there.

--
 Pete Selby
(pete.selby at zetnet.co.uk)