How to plant Pinetrees?

Stephen Chalmers schalm02 at postoffice.csu.edu.au
Sat Mar 22 06:46:07 EST 1997

A long time ago, in a galaxy frighteningly close to this
one, HeK at hetta.pp.fi (Henriette Kress) wrote:

>On 19 Feb 1997 08:45:27 GMT, maf09216 at students.si.fct.unl.pt (Marco Alexandre
>Fernandes - LEI) wrote in bionet.plants:
>
>>Ola, eu preciso de ajuda no seguinte tema:
>>Como plantar pinheiros bravos?
>>Eu sei que algumas especies tem a semente (pinhoes) que basta atira-las para
>>a terra que germinam sozinhas....mas e aquelas especies que nao tem pinhoes?
>>como e que se faz?
>>Por favor ajudem-me?
>
>Well, whatever you do, don't do it the way those underpaid summer workers did
>for one land owner: he didn't even give them time off for lunch, and they got
>paid by the plant, and were quite disgusted with their employer, so they dug a
>big hole and threw all the plants in, and covered them up ... ghastly.
>
>Also, don't do it like the unexperienced planters did one year... upside down...
>no pine likes that, and wouldn't 'take root', even if it could ;)
>
>And then you have to come in and clear the grass from around the plants the
>following 1-10 years, until the pines are tall enough to stand above the grass.
>
>And last but not least, keep the moose and reindeer away from the plants, or
>you'll have pines with multiple crowns.
>
>Happy to help.
>Henriette
>
>--
>Henriette Kress             HeK at hetta.pp.fi            Helsinki, Finland
>http://sunsite.unc.edu/herbmed FTP: sunsite.unc.edu or sunsite.sut.ac.jp
>      /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/herbal-medicine/
>Medicinal and Culinary herbFAQs, plant pictures, neat stuff, archives...

Sorry, but the less pine trees planted the better - down
here that is :-) Bloody weed. Just means some paper factory
has cleared hectares of native forest to encourage bloody
Pinus radiata.

Worse, home gardeners see 'em, and think they'd be nice in
their garden (suburban).

If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me "We
didn't think it would get that big".................

(dismounts from soapbox, removes fascist 'indigeneous only'
hat)