Help, please, with identification of unknown

mel turner mturner at snipthis.acpub.duke.edu
Tue Dec 8 02:51:47 EST 1998

In article <monique.1658.0140CC21 at bio.tamu.edu>, monique at bio.tamu.edu
says...

>I've come into possession of some odd fruit pieces(?) from the Dominican
>Republic.  They are hard, woody, and definitely curved, with some having
a right-hand twist and some a left-hand. We think they may be halves of a
legume, possibly Acacia coronaria
>(Dividivi). Alternatively, they might be parts of something that has a
long, spirally coiled fruit.

>Please look at http://csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/unk.htm  and let me know if you
>recognize these.

Perhaps they're fragments of the explosively dehiscent woody fruits of the
tree _Hura crepitans_ [Euphorbiaceae]?  They look about right, if memory
serves. Compare them with herbarium specimens, if you can...

cheers