Artificial Lights For Plants

Gaylord Mink gmink at bentonrea.com
Mon Dec 21 11:57:44 EST 1998

Most green plants including aquatics do best when grown under light consisting
of all wavelengths .  However, many respond in various ways to light of narrow
wavelengths such as red or blue.  Again some plants respond well to short days
(short light periods-long dark) and some to the reverse.  Some plants,
especially those that grow well under low light intensities grow without problem
under continuous light.   My guess is that if   your aquarium is locate in an
area where you get good sunlight they will very little supplemental light.