Pokeweed

Tom McCloud McCloud at dtpax2.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Jul 23 06:59:54 EST 1998

You may have in mind Phytolacca americana L., Phytolaccaceae,  a
perenial plant that resprouts from large root each spring.  It is found
across the eastern US, and I suspect elsewhere.  The stem is pithy,
hollow, and not very strong.  Can grow to 2 meters tall.  Small clusters
of white flowers followed by black berries the size of garden peas.  THe
leaves of the plant contain a ribosome-binding protein, making them
poisonous.  The crush berries have been used to make a kind of
ink.                        Tom McCloud   Frederick, MD