Poison Ivy

Paul M Davis pmdlandarch at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 18 09:58:19 EST 1999

>>>Anyone know lots about poison ivy?  This is my 1st
encounter.....   Help<<<

Oh do I know a lot about poison ivy?!??

We have an intimate relationship on a regular basis.

It does recur.  It's spread by the oils of the plant.  If the oils remain on
your shoes, equipment or cloths you can easily be re-exposed by touching
those objects weeks or even months later.

Be sure to separately launder ALL clothes that you wear in the woods in hot
water (twice if you think that it needs it) and wipe down your equipment,
your shoes, and your self after every outing with Oak-N-Ivy brand
"technu"... a lotion that is available over the counter in most drug stores.
Technu is good stuff, and usually takes care of it.

The injections that you took are one cure, as are a series of oral
medications that your doctor can perscribe.  Some persons (farmers, forestry
workers) take an antidote by injection every spring, when they know that
they will exposed frequently.  I also use phenolated calamine lotion  and/or
Temovate lotion after an outbreak.