creeping charlie

Starbuck pmdlandarch at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 8 09:07:32 EST 1999

>> Who *was* Charlie, and why, oh why, does he have all these
>> plants named after him?  And how creepy was he, anyway?

Presumably that would be Charles Stuart (King Charles I) who lived from
1600-1649, loosing his head to the Puritan faction.  Whether he was "creepy"
would, I suppose depend upon your politics.  More likely the comparison has
more to do with his persistance in maintaining his position, and persistance
in maintaining the authority of the Crown over the more democratic
"levelers".