Full Spectrum light bulbs for indoor plants

Mon Oct 25 07:32:52 EST 1999

At 9:54 AM -0500 10/23/99, Stephanie wrote:
>David Hershey <dh321 at excite.com> wrote:
>
>>Full spectrum bulbs actually provide less light for photosynthesis than
>>cheaper cool white fluorescent tubes.  <snip>
>
>But if any of the plants are to bloom, I do believe that requires the
>full spectrum plant lights.....right?
>Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Special lamps are NOT required. At one point
in my teen-years I had a whole basement full
of African violets blooming under regular
cool white fluorescent lamps.  Just remember
to have the tubes only a few inches above
the foliage.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479