Bittersweet

rwhitehead at cix.compulink.co.uk rwhitehead at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 15:42:22 EST 1999

In article <eAlCrH5B$GA.234 at cpmsnbbsa05>, peterjbilling at email.msn.com (Peter
Billinghurst) wrote:

> If you are talking about Solanum dulcamara in UK,  this grows prolifically
> here in the wild, and I cannot imagine has any market value.

That thought crossed my mind, too.  8-)

However, as is often the way, this American common name denotes a different
species to the one we know in Britain. There it is applied to plants of the
genus Celastrus, especially C. scandens, an ornamental climber with orange
fruit that is very attractive to birds. It is also used for a hybrid of
Californian lilac, Ceanothus X serrulatus, and, as "evergreen bittersweet",
for Euonymus fortunei.

Regards,

Roger