mushrooms in a houseplant.

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Fri Aug 11 09:16:04 EST 2000

If your 'shrooms are yellowish and the caps look a bit like Nilla
wafers or little yellow parasols, you probably have _Leucocoprinus
birnbaumii_.  It's extremely common in houseplants and is usually
introduced as a contaminant in soil-free mixes.  It won't really hurt
your plants because it's living off the decaying organic matter in the
mix.  If you pick out the mushrooms before the caps open to spread
their spores, you can eliminate spore production.

Photo of L. b. at:
http://www.mycena.sfsu.edu/hawaiian/Gardens/L_birnbaumii.html

Monique Reed