do plants really follow the sun

Shawn Campbell shawnfromin at webtv.net
Fri Jan 21 22:42:47 EST 2000

I can't tell you what makes a plant move toward the sun. The only thing
I can think of is that maybe the cell fibers re-align themselves to
absorb as much light as possible. I think the reason sunflowers can
position themselves so readily is because they have so much growing to
do in such a short time.
However, I do know what this process is called.  Phototropism. Positive
tropism is when the plant moves itself toward the sun, and negative
tropism is when the plant moves itself away from the sun (as in
wilting!).