Question: Soil chemistry and acidification

Jon B jeb926 at io.com
Wed Jan 3 13:20:28 EST 2001

I concur with this alternative. You probably want to conduct a small
bench test to determine the appropriate amount of elemental S to
add to your soils. Essentially, the sulfur will be oxidized by
soil bacteria and sulfuric acid will be a byproduct (thereby reducing
the soil pH). It is critical that you not add too much S. Try
adding increasing amounts to several pots of soil and determine
which quantity of S (per volume of soil) results in the desired
pH range. Make sure you allow enough time to pass before checking the
pH (not sure on exact time, since moisture, soil texture, temperature
all play a part) - maybe 2 weeks to a month. Make sure the S is
incorporated into the soil evenly.

Good luck!