Decorative Gardens with an Evolutionary Theme

Bernard Brennan brennanb at eircom.net
Sat Jun 2 15:29:26 EST 2001

Colleagues, I am proposing to design a small courtyard garden using an
evolutionary theme, approximate dimensions 6m (20ft) by 16m, the area is
situated within a College Campus  is adjacent to a science teaching area
and is overlooked on one side from a busy linking corridor.  The area is
shaded by a single storey buildings recieving reasonable light.  I was
hoping to convey a plant + evolutionary sequence via the planting
scheme, using a linear or other model and combining this with sculpture
to depict animal evolution (perhaps using footprints) along  pathways
and perhaps interspersed with parallell rock forms and other as yet
unspecified symbolism.  It is envisaged that the end product should be
aesthetically harmonious and  educational.  I can appreciate that the
idea is unlikely to be original and would welcome comments and guidance
and perhaps collaboration with persons also interested in this concept
e.g. discussion re possible layouts and leads to suitable reference
material.
help appreciated, Bernard Brennan, Lecturer, Dept of Applied Sciences,
St Stephens College of FE, Cork, Ireland