browning sarracenia

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 28 17:33:01 EST 2001

Sarracenia also like to have a dormancy period.  Under year-round
growth conditions, they eventually decline and die. Sundews and
Nepenthes are essentially tropical in "behavior" and don't mind
growth-promoting conditions all year long.  If you don't mind growing
pitcher plants as replaceable perennials, check water quality,
temperature (how hot does it get inside your terrarium?), potential
overwatering (they like moisture, but roots need air), etc.  I have my
Sarracenia planted in a sealed terrarium (not in a separate pot) and I
never have to water at all.

M. Reed