Palm House Plant Leaves Browning.. HELP!

Heather heatherineverett at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 10:48:44 EST 2001

Hello All-

I am hoping you can help me with my house plant.  I am not sure
exactly the species but it is certainly a palm, about 4 1/2 feet tall
right now.  Anyway, I got it about a month ago and since then almost
all the tips of the leaves have browned and now the brown is consuming
the leaves (dying it seems).  It has fairly low light but not dark..
in the living room probably 15 feet away from the nearest window but
never any direct sunlight. I water it about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks,
with miracle grow added.  But I make sure to let the soil dry out a
little first.  I'm quite concerned as I really love this plant and
want it to live but I am having some trouble!  It has shot up some new
leaves on the top that are nice and green, but I am worried those too
will brown soon!  And I should mention also that as soon as I got it I
replanted it in a nice big container with miracle grow soil so I doubt
that is a problem also!  The only thing I can think of is occasionally
when we walk by it we mistakingly brush up against the leaves.. could
that cause this?  PLEASE HELP!

Thanks Much-
Heather
New Hampshire, USA