[Plant-biology] Re: Question re: fertilizing plants

bae from cs.toronto.no-uce.edu via plantbio%40net.bio.net (by bae from cs.toronto.no-uce.edu)
Thu Apr 8 21:14:34 EST 2010

In article <mailman.440.1270752650.25217.plantbio from net.bio.net>,
Mohamed  <myakub02 from yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a hybrid tomato genotype that I need fruits and seeds from;
>however it is currently not flowering, and looks rather "sad." I intend
>to add some fertilizer (it gets a weekly regime of fertilizer in small
>doses); however, I read somewhere that Bloom Boost (don't know which
>brand exactly) is supposed to promote flowering - which I can then
>hand-pollinate to obtain seeds, so as to not lose this genotype. Any
>thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you trying to grow this plant indoors?  If so, it may not be getting
enough light.  In that case, fertilizers won't help.  If you move it
outdoors, be sure to expose it to full sun gradually, or the leaves will
burn.

Most tomato cultivars will produce a cluster of blooms after they
produce a set number of leaves, which is different for different
cultivars.

If the plant gets too stringy from lack of light, note that tomatoes
root from cuttings very easily, so you can cut it up and make more
plants.

Self-pollinating tomatoes is very easy -- it just takes a little wind or
vibration to get pollen to fall on the stigma.  For greenhouse crops, it
used to be standard practice to go down the row and hit each stake with
a stick once a day.  If you're growing the plant outdoors, you may want
to cover the entire truss with cheesecloth or rowcover material before
any flowers open to prevent any cross pollination.