Request for references

BIOBISS at UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU BIOBISS at UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU
Fri Sep 22 09:49:39 EST 1995

On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Mike Weber wrote:

I find it's very important to give them a list of questions to help
them through the article, especially at an earlier level.  If left
on their own to confront a scientific article for the first time,
students often get hung up on small, sticky questions that are not
necessary to know to get the exact gist.  Let them know that they
don't have to know everything in the article.  For older students, I
often ask them fairly broad questions like "what is the main point
of the article? What is their evidence for this point?"  For less
experienced students, you might ask more guided questions:  Why
do the authors expect that you will care about increased atmospheric
CO2?  What affect do they think a young forest will do about it?  Why?

Good luck finding an article.  That may be the hardest point at this
stage.  Since I'm not sure what kind of background your students have,
it would be hard for me to make any suggestions.

Mary A. Bisson
Dept. Biological Sciences
SUNY Buffalo