molecular biology text

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Mon May 4 13:03:04 EST 1998

Plant-eders;

A month ago I asked about Molecular biology texts that focused on
eukaryotes and also treated whole genomes and bioinformatics
(http://www.bio.net:80/hypermail/PLANT-EDUCATION/9804/0005.html).  Here are
snippets from the replies I received.  The last one looks quite interesting.

=======
What I use is a combination of (1) a biochem text such as Stryer's, which
does a very good job of skimming the cream off the top of mol. bio., along
with (2) Watson et al.s' Recombinant DNA book.  The latter is best for its
presentation of empirical methods: illustrations summarizing how
experiments tell us about what is happening at the molecular level.  This
is one of the main themes of the course I teach.  ...Watson et al's Mol.
Bio. of the gene has Part II focusing on eukaryotes.  The book is excellent
but beginning to get dated.
=======
I'm a realll beginner in molecular biology, but I must say that the book
Recombinant DNA 2ded by Watson, Gilman, Witkowski, and Zoller (Freeman, NY)
helped me write my grant proposal for learning some molecular biology in my
upcoming sabbatic leave.  It seemed well-written for a beginner like
myself.  I don't know if you have seen it or have a copy to evaluate.  It
could use an update.
=======
A molecular biology text that's worth looking at is "Molecular Biology Made
simple and fun", Clark and Russell, Cache River Press Vienna, IL, 1997.  It
is a little superficial on some topics, but covers others well.  It
includes biotechnology, transgenic plants and animals, forensics,
transposons, PCR as well as the standard stuff you would expect to see.
Its not exactly what you describe - its thin on genomics - but worth
considering.
=======
For my money the Molecular Biology of the Cell is still the best text for
cell biology.  They have come out with an Essential Molecular Biology of
the Cell, aimed at a lower level for those who want it.  You might wish to
call Garland Press and request examination copies of both of these.
=======
This may be of help to you. I teach an upper level course in Molecular and
always have great difficulty selecting a text- take a look at Route Maps in
Gene Technology by Walker and Rapley- Blackwell Science-it allows for
selection and I think I like it. [see:
http://www.blackwell-science.com/~cgilib/bookpage.bin?File=3282 ]
=======

Thanks all!

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html