plant id

Mon May 18 13:58:11 EST 1998

At 2:18 PM -0400 5/18/98, Grant R. Cramer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have two questions:
>
>1) Does anyone know where I can get seed for the sensitivity plant? I want
>to give each student one to grow through class next fall.
>
>2) Does anyone have a recommendation for a short Plant ID guide or key that
>students can easily carry with them out in the field?

Hi Grant!

Mimosa pudica seeds (the sensitive plant) are available
where most seeds are sold.  The usual sources Northrup King,
Burpee, Park, etc. should all have them in stores or certainly
by mail order.

The best guide for around here are the Audubon's series...
I'm not particularly fond of the "color" sorting of the
entries, but students do find that it gets them to their
plant a bit faster than a more "botanical" key might.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479