[Plant-education] Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned- smell foul?

Jensen, Douglas via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by Doug.Jensen from Converse.edu)
Sun Jun 10 15:31:16 EST 2007

I find this a fascinating question.  I'd say it's a perceptation difference, but I certainly wouldn't call it an illness or disorder any more than saying that someone who dislikes the color green has a disorder.  People perceive smells very differently from each other, and our personal histories play into it.  A while back, I read that skunk odor is generally considered pleasant when at very low levels.  My son hates cantaloupe because he says it smells like garbage.  I like it, concede that point to him, ignoring the smell as I eat it.

I suggest that you contact a smell expert in addition to a food scientist.  They might be able to help you pinpoint the particular chemicals that you dislike, and that might lead to conclusions about whether you are reacting differently to some chemicals than others do.

Doug
-----Original Message-----
From: plant-ed-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu on behalf of Janice M. Glime
Sent: Sun 6/10/2007 11:56 AM
To: Radium
Cc: bionet-plants-education from moderators.isc.org
Subject: Re: [Plant-education] Why do ripe fruits - especially when canned-	smell foul?

Dear Radium,
   Have you considered the possibility that some or all of the unpleasant odor
may be contributed by the metal can?  Of course, if the same odor exists with
fruits canned in glass jars, this is not an explanation.  It suggests that
something in the canning process contributes to the odor.  I have no idea as to
what.  You need to talk to a food scientist.
Janice

Dr. Janice Glime, Professor
President of IAB; Manager of Bryonet
Department of Biological Sciences