Isozyme analysis using agarose gels?

David L. Robinson dlrobi02 at HOMER.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Thu Nov 7 20:09:34 EST 1996

Does anyone out there have any experience doing Native-protein
electrophoresis and enzyme activity staining using horizontal
agarose gels (instead of vertical PAGE)?

I think this would be a easier, cheaper, and safer technique for
undergraduates to do isozyme work, but am not sure of the
feasibility. Horizontal starch gels were the norm in early isozyme
research, and I have _heard_ of agarose being used successfully, but
I need a reference.

Thanks,

Dave Robinson
Biology Dept.