B-9 Source

Ross Koning Koning at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU
Fri Nov 22 08:29:49 EST 1996

At 12:24 PM 11/20/96 -0800, Bill McMillan wrote:
>I will be teaching a class on vascular plants next semester.  It includes
>a section on plant hormones, and I'd like to do the experiment with dwarf
>and tall peas.  Could you tell me where you get the pea seeds of the Little
>Marvel and Alaska varieties, and also where you get B-9 from?

Bill,

I have had several inquiries, so I am posting the
reply to the list.

You can get Little Marvel peas from most seed supply
companies.  I prefer Burpee over some of the others;
I have liked the quality and price/quantity ratio and
the untreated condition of the seeds (student handling!).
Alaska peas are more difficult to find these days.
I bought 10 pounds a few years ago from Burpee and
have kept them in the refrigerator in a sealed
container.  They have stopped supplying them.  Too bad
because they are not just tall, they are the round
phenotype whereas Little Marvel is wrinkled.  That
makes it nice to keep the seeds separate, but also
reinforces the genetics lecture on Mendel.

In recent years I have been looking for substitutes
because of the difficulty in getting untreated Alaska.
Sugar snap (tall) and Sugar bon (dwarf) snap peas
make a reasonable substitute pairing.  Unfortunately
both are wrinkled, so you have to admonish the students
to be very careful in handling seeds.  Not to take too
many from the container, not to return ANY to either
container, etc.

Burpee Wholesale
Warminster, PA

1-215-674-4900
1-800-999-8552

My huge bottle of B-Nine SP is from Uniroyal.  I bought
it from my local greenhouse supplier several years ago
and also keep it in the refrigerator:

W. H. Milikowski, Inc
75 Chestnut Hill
Stafford Springs, CT  06076
1-800-243-7170
1-860-763-3220

1 lb 81.25 (but it lasts a long time...mine is at least
seven years old in the frig).

The active ingredient (85%) is daminozide butanedioic acid
mono-2,2-dimethyl hydrazide.  The other 15% includes the
wetting agent.

The bottle came with a measuring spoon (1 Tablespoon) and
I have dissolved 2T per liter of distilled water.  Sorry
about the English units...it's an American commercial product
and I haven't measured out this quantity and weighed it
to determine that metrically (no balance in the greenhouse
two blocks away!).

I have the students apply 75 mL of this solution to each
4.5 inch (sorry that's the American pot size!) geranium
pot.  These pots contain Promix-BX or Fafard #2 and five
pea seedlings just clearing the soil surface.  The solution
has to be applied a few mL at a time to ensure complete
percolation through the soil.  You might want to be sure
to collect the displaced liquid and discard it properly.

You can apply B-9 as a spray, but I like the students to
experience different application techniques.  I also think
I get better results with drenching...it has been a long
time since I sprayed this stuff, however.

Good Luck!

ross

Ross Koning                 | Koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Eastern CT State University | Phone: 860-465-5327
Willimantic, CT  06226  USA | Fax: 860-465-5213

                Plant Physiology is Phun!

 /\|___/\     //\______COOH   NH-CH2-CH=C-CH2OH  \/OH
  | COOH                    \\ /\ /            O
  COOH        H2C=CH2         N  NH