colchicine used to improve vegetable crops

gsm weaver at
Mon Jan 27 20:51:00 EST 1997

klevin wrote:
> Peter J. Walker wrote:
> >

> > Aspirin or coffee act very differently, inducing point mutations at
> > nucleotide level. In this case, the induced mutations are
> > random and you would need to select those strains that carry a
> > trait.
> >
> You may want to check your sources -  the claims that coffee is
> mutagenic date back a few decades and are not now believed to be
> valid...
> Ken Levin

Ken I believe that coffee has mutagenic potential as it has a perpencity
to occupy the minor grove of the double helix (DNA) and thus is a
potential mutagen.
A recent paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
addresses this, I do not have at hand the journal volume number but am
postive it is in 1994. As well check out Bruce Ames mutagen list he is
at the University of California at Berkeley and the foremost expert on
mutagens and mutagenic potential in the world.  Hope this helps.
G. Mckenzie