Growing Arabidopsis?

Sun Aug 1 16:21:55 EST 1999

Getting the seeds to sprout on a simple mineral-
phytagel plate is easy (I have used MS salts and
Knopps with equal success).  The problem comes when
students try to move them to soil. The young seedlings
can take NO root-abuse in that stage. The problem here
was solved by letting the students move each seedling
with the phytagel INTACT...carving out a block that
included the root and planting the whole block.  Once
I figured that out, all my students had success with
their "mystery mutant" arabidopsis plants. To get the
seeds sown in the plates thinly enough I found that
a SMALL quantity of seeds in a microfuge tube are held
well on the walls of the tube by static electricity
(or other forces). This allows the student to tap
on the tube to release just one seed at a time and
get them spaced apart widely in the dish so that
root damage can be minimized at the transplant time.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479