Endangered Plants T-shirts - Discounted (not)

Stephen M Jankalski CEREOID at prodigy.net
Fri Dec 24 16:34:42 EST 1999

Dear Tim,

I am not interested in getting one of your T-shirts, free or otherwise.

You are completely missing the point.

One would feel differently if a substantial portion of the gross profit you
made from selling them actually went toward protecting endangered species
rather than your exploiting them to make a fast buck.

Cereusly Steve

----------
> From: Timothy B. Levine <hosstbl at yahoo.bloc.com>
> To: Stephen M Jankalski <CEREOID at prodigy.net>
> Subject: Re: Endangered Plants T-shirts - Discounted
> Date: Friday, December 24, 1999 1:19 PM
>
> For goodness sake, if you persist on claiming that I'm trying to rip you
off,
> i'll see if I can send you a free shirt to prove to you that I'm not -if
I talk
> my boss into it on Monday.
>
> To send me e-mail remove "bloc" from my address.
>
> Tim

**************************************
Something to think about.

"THIS MODERN WORLD
by TOM TOMORROW (12-22-99)

They smile reassuringly and tell you everything's fine, that the economy's
going gangbusters and a rising tide lifts all boats--but you know that
something's wrong here. You know that 85% of the wealth is controlled by
20% of the population…that the wages of a majority of Americans are
actually lower, in real dollars, than they were in 1973.

You know that your leaders have been bought and paid for, that corporate
money sets the political agenda. You know that the free market has become
the dominant religion of our age…that anyone foolish enough to suggest
tempering the quest for profit with a modicum of concern for human rights
or the environment is viewed as a heretic --if not an utter lunatic.

You know that something is deeply, fundamentally wrong.

But what can you do? You don't matter. Your vote doesn't matter. Your
protests don't matter. Go ahead, march in the streets and chant your little
slogans. The political sophisticates and the media elites will smirk at
your naiveté, your misguided nostalgia for the sixties, and then they will
steer the conversation back to the stock market or the fabulous new
restaurant they've recently discovered. They're not worried about you.

And yet…something extraordinary just happened in Seattle. Demonstrators
took to the streets and made their voices heard--and it made a difference.
The media were forced to address issues they had previously swept under the
rug, to explain why anyone could possibly be opposed to unfettered global
capitalism. In a few short days, the entire debate was altered, perhaps
irrevocably.

You know something's wrong. Maybe it's time to start making some noise
about it.

HAPPY NEW MILLENNIUM."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!

Timothy B. Levine <hosstbl at yahoo.bloc.com> wrote in article
<3863C7C5.CC243C9 at yahoo.bloc.com>...

> Stephen M Jankalski wrote:
>
> > Dear Tim,
> >
> > You misrepresented your posting by saying they are discounted when they
are
> > not.
>
> Really, bid on one at Ebay and they're $4.99.  Send me an e-mail and I'll
sell
> you one at $4.99.  Although I barely got through Calculus back in high
school,
> but I believe $4.99 as compaired to $19.99 would be considered to be
> discounted.
>
> > Your offer is not a bargain. You are not selling them at cost. You are
> > still trying to make a profit from a bad deal.
>
> First of all one party does not have to lose money for something to be a
> bargain.  Our entire commercial economic system is in part based on
consumers
> getting a bargain while the seller still makes a profit.
>
> For the record we are not making money on this, we are cutting our loses.
 Our
> cost was $4 per shirt to print, plus when you consider the salaried time
of the
> graphic artist to design the shirt, the salaried time of me to
essentially sell
> of the shirts, plus the salaried time of the owner and accountant to
handle all
> of the logistics associated involved we are really losing out pretty good
on
> this.
>

> > As you know, many people in the newsgroups to which you sent your
posting
> > have environmental interests and your posting is deliberately
misleading.
> > Your original posting implied the purpose of selling the T-shirts was
> > protect endangered species. Now you freely admit it is not.
> >
> > Since you are a salesperson, you probably don't see anything wrong in
that
> > either.
> >

> I suggest you reread my original posting.  It did not imply the purpose
of the
> shirt was to protect endangered species.  It was purely factual other
than
> refering to the shirt being awesome (which it is!) and that the price was
> ridiculously low (which it is!).  I have a very high ethical standard,
however
> you seem to be misleading people about my original posting.
>

> > Any way you cut it, its still SPAM.
> >

> It's a public forum.  I only posted it once.  Some people might be
interested,
> since you're not I suggest you ignore it.
>

> > Timothy B. Levine <hosstbl at yahoo.bloc.com> wrote in article
> > <3863B775.326887BB at yahoo.bloc.com>...

> > > I would consider it a discount.  We posted 13 of these shirts at
$4.99 on
> > > Ebay.  If you follow the second you can get to all of them.  We don't
> > expect
> > > any of them to sell for more than the opening bid.  I would have done
it
> > as a
> > > dutch auction with a higher quantity, buy we just created the Ebay
> > account for
> > > the company and you have to be on 60 day or have a certain feedback
> > rating to
> > > do this.  These shirts were intended to sell for $19.99, so $4.99
would
> > be a
> > > sizable discount.

Trading