ASPP and teaching

David Hershey dh321 at bellatlantic.net
Sun Feb 28 01:47:59 EST 1999

I'm sorry to learn that ASPP has such a myopic view of scholarly efforts
in education. I have read several plant science education studies which
tested techniques on different test groups and found them much less
useful than the kind of teaching articles in American Biology Teacher,
Journal of Biological Education, BioScience, or ASPP poster abstracts
especially "how-to-do-it" type pieces.

Most teachers have had the experience of trying the same teaching
technique on different classes and sometimes it works beautifully with
one class and fails miserably with another. Therefore, I really have my
doubts when results of teaching research using just two classes for one
semester are used to draw far-reaching conclusions. There does not seem
to be adequate replication in many of the studies I have read. Another
problem I have with many of the studies is that the education
researchers do not have backgrounds in plant biology.

Funny, but the college-level science teachers rarely have taken
education courses, and the college science education system in the
United States is the best in the world. On the other hand, the
precollege teachers all have degrees in education, and the precollege
science teaching system in the United States is way back in world
rankings.

David Hershey
dh321 at bellatlantic.net