sex determination in plants

Janice M. Glime jmglime at mtu.edu
Thu Nov 9 19:55:55 EST 2000

Sex determination in plants can also depend on available nutrients, and
may be the case in some plants that appear to be dioecious.  This is the
case with Jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum).  It is first sterile,
then in 2-3 years it is male, then the following year if enough energy is
available, it becomes female; then the cycle starts over.

The first sex chromosomes were found in the moss Mnium.  I don't know
which species, so I don't know if it was dioecious.

Janice
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University