ABT article

John Hoddinott john.hoddinott at ualberta.ca
Fri Feb 16 10:52:15 EST 2001

I have been lurking on this tread and I am having some difficulty getting
behind the pedagogy of what is being discussed.

What are the learning outcomes being achieved?

Do we want students to develop skills of recording observations through
microscopes? If that is the case we would assess their mastery of the skills
by providing feedback on their recordings and labellings. This being a
digital age it is more relevant that their recording would be by a digital
camera rather than by a line drawing, with or without a camera lucida.

The outcome could be more cognitively based, e.g. using a microscope and
prepared slides, students will be able to differentiate between different
tissue and cell types. In that case what is assessed? A drawing with correct
labelling could provide evidence that the objective has been achieved. If
there is no desire to develop the skill of drawing, a correctly labelled
digital image could be the evidence. The additional skill developed in the
latter case might be the use of an appropriate 'mind-tool' like PowerPoint.

On a different tangent, we often read of accommodating different student
learning styles into our teaching repertoire. The act of drawing, or even
colouring in one of the published compendia of line drawings, might be a
good way to assist students who have a kinaesthetic learning style to
achieve the learning outcomes.

Then we have the issues of examinations. For those of us who have taken
and/or given those multi-station, "move to the next station when the bell
rings," lab exams, the idea of simply changing the projected image in an
exam room might be appealing. (Who gets to choose the depth of focus?) Just
what is the outcome being achieved in being able to identify and comment on
a projected, or directly observed, image in 30 seconds or one minute? Does
any professional biologist work under such conditions? Is this form of
assessment authentic on any objective scale?

The technology does offer some interesting possibilities for students to
demonstrate the achieving of learning outcomes through problem based
learning or portfolio assessment, but that would be for another thread.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
John Hoddinott PhD,
Associate Director,
Academic Technologies for Learning,
Faculty of Extension,
& Professor, Biological Sciences,
University of Alberta,
Edmonton, AB, T6G 2T4, Canada.
Tel: (780) 492-1183, Home: (780) 988-2809
Fax: (780) 492-1857
E-mail: john.hoddinott at ualberta.ca
http://www.atl.ualberta.ca/staff/johnh
"Colleges and universities need no longer
function solely as a culture's hard disk,
producing students who then, like floppies,
carry information to other non-academic
organizations."
Paul Michael Privateer, 1999.