leaf sap extraction

Virginia Berg Virginia.Berg at uni.edu
Mon Jun 17 16:56:15 EST 2002

Dear Plant Ed Folks:

We are trying to extract leaf sap to determine osmolality as it might
change with chilling. (The frost tolerance definitely improves with
chilling in our plants.)

Freezing and crushing, even in liquid nitrogen, then centrifuging
(13,000xg), gives us a thick paste, with no separation of liquid. A
special press in the chemistry department caused the thick paste to ooze
out past the fittings, and this only after applying high pressure. We
only need 10 microliters of liquid, but so far we have zero.

Does anybody have a method that works well to extract relatively small
amounts of water from small (gram) amounts of leaf tissue?

--Gini Berg
---------------
No climate can rightly be considered good, though bananas and yams may
flourish, if men decay -- Vilhjalmur Stefansson

Dr. Virginia Berg
Professor, Plant Physiology
Biology Department
University of Northern Iowa