What can make the root system on a young dead tree glow green

David Hershey dh321z at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 21:06:43 EST 2003

Does anyone have a good answer to the following
question:

"In 1993 I was at Camp Cedars in Nebraska. I went
looking for a stick to use as a walking stick. I
located a dead sapling with no bark that was very easy
to pull from the ground. I spent all afternoon sitting
behind my tent cutting the
roots from the sapling to make the walking stick. That
night I went behind my tent as saw hundreds of pieces
of wood that were glowing like a glow stick that you
find at a dance club. The largest piece with the thick
root system. I show many camp counselors at the camp
but no one had an explanation for me.
The roots glowed for about three nights in a row.

The roots were very dry as was the trunk. There were
grooves in the wood as if the tree had termites at one
time. I scraped off some of the wood from the
roots to see if maybe it was mold or something, but
the wood beneath also glowed. I have been unbale to
locate any information about glowing trees any
where. I know some scientists have created some plants
that glow in the dark. As far as I know, there were no
chemical spill or radio-active waste dumps in
Nebraska. So how does this happen?"

David R. Hershey
dh321z at yahoo.com