[Protein-analysis] Re: List of all proteins.

Don Gilbert via proteins%40net.bio.net (by gilbertd from bio.indiana.edu)
Thu Jan 21 21:33:00 EST 2010

On 2010-01-22, adusumalli adusumalli <adusumalli123 from gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I get list of all the proteins available in nature?

We're working on it... come back in a few decades for an answer.
Projects like sequencing 1.2 million new genes/proteins
from over 1800 species in the Sargasso Sea will get us there faster:
  http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/304/5667/66

Or if you just want a list of cataloged proteins, see
http://www.uniprot.org/

If you want to estimate the number of proteins in nature,
first estimate the number of species in nature (10-30 million),
then multiply by a factor around 10,000 to 40,000 proteins/species
for eukaryotes, under 5000 for smaller things, and adjust for a
portion of identical proteins (maybe 1/3 to 2/3) per species.

- Don Gilbert