DNA for zoo blot

David J. Patterson paddy at EXTRO.UCC.SU.OZ.AU
Tue Oct 25 21:45:30 EST 1994

EDWARD

> I am a graduate student at the University of New Mexico and I am
> currently trying to put together a zoo blot.  I would really like to
> put togeter a blot that covers a broad range of taxa (I am interested
> in a protein that is present in (eu)bacteria, archaea, and in
> eukaryotes) and really wanted to get DNA from at least a few protista
> spp., since I wanted to look at the diversity that is available in this
> group.
>
> I am thinking right now that it would be appropriate to get DNA from
> Giardia lamblia, a flagellate (I was thinking Euglena or a
> Trypanosome), and a ciliate (Tetrahymena perhaps, or Paramecium).  If
> anybody has "extra" DNA available (or cells - I'm happy to do the prep.
> myself) pls contact me by e-mail (ebraun at triton.unm.edu).  My primary
> focus is yeast genetics, so the lab I work in is not set up to grow a
> wide variety of organisms, but even cells of something that is
> reasonable to grow (and isn't pathogenic!-I envision infecting myself)
> would be appreaciated.

GIARDIA IS A 'PRIMITIVE PROT', OTHERS CAN BE PUSHED INTO THREE BROAD
CATEGORIES ON THE BASIS OF MITOCHONDRIAL APPEARANCES. eUGLENIDS FALL INTO
ONE, PARAMECIUM / TETRAHYMENA INTO ANOTHER, THE THIRD CONTAINS ALSO
PLANTS ANIMALS AND FUNGI AND PROBABLY DOESN'T NEED OTHER
REPRESENTATIVES.  SOIF YOU ARE AFTER A BROAD BRUSH APPROACH YOU ARE ON
THE RIGHT TRACK.  TRY TO GET HOLD OF SOME RECENT (GOOD) ARTICLES ON
PROTIST DIVERSITY AND EVOLUTION - I SUGGEST SOGIN'S TRENDS ARTICLE - HE
IS SOGIN AT EVOL1.MBL.EDU IF YOU NEED FULL REFERENCE.

DAVID PATTERSON